Sunday, September 9, 2018

Final Test



This short video is from the final testing and photo shoot for the Star Laser Force pack. I used a flashlight to "shoot" the pack and score points.

Interestingly, you can't just shine bright light on the sensors to set it off; it has to be a pulse. With my hand on the switch the "pulses" were about 200mS. If you step through the video you'll see there is an additional delay of about 200mS before the first visible response. This filtering of ambient light sources was all done with discrete components and a couple of 74LS132 Schmitt trigger ICs.

Regrettably none of my videos have sound, so I've lost my chance to record the "boom" or hit sound. It's nothing, really, just a discrete noise generator circuit that was meant to sound like a gunshot. If I had to build a replacement "boom" sound board tomorrow I'd probably use a 76477 sound chip. The results would sound about the same.

5 comments:

  1. Hey tһere! Ι've beеn following yⲟur site for a long timе now annd finalⅼy
    got the couгage to go ahead and givе you a shout out from Humble Tx!

    Just wаnted to mention keep up the fantɑstic job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day I am so grateful I found your blog page, I really found
    you by accident, while I was searching on Bing for something
    else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a remarkable post and a
    all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to read it
    all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added
    your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read
    a great deal more, Please do keep up the awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could increment the score counter with less than a full pulse at least at one point. I remember playing at the center and watching all of our score counters increment at a slow rate while we stood in the well-lit staging area. Memory lies, but I am pretty sure it stuck out because the numbers were not incrementing at the same rate that one would expect for a hit by the guns.

    I _think_ that this may have had some origin in play around the "unshielded reactor" in the center of the arena that would emit flashes of light at random and raise your score.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting. Perhaps there is some possibility of interference from fluorescent lighting.

      Delete
  4. I could not refrain from commenting. Exceptionally well written!

    ReplyDelete